Deep breathing - deep nourishment
Benefits of deep breathing
Deep breathing Vs Shallow breathing
Deep breathing - 1St exercise of pranayama
How to do deep breathing exercise
1. Sit in a comfortable position preferably as you would sit in order to do meditation. Close your eyes.
How much to do
Do the Deep breathing exercise for about 2-5 minutes. If you are doing it for the first time, like if you have started pranayama newly then it is advisable to do Deep breathing exercise just for 2 minutes during the 1st week and every week you can increase it by a minute. So 2 minutes for the 1st week, 3 minutes for the 2nd week, then 4 minutes and finally you can start doing for 5 minutes.
Also read our following articles
Today we are used to sitting before computers for long periods of time and we dont even notice that our breathing becomes very shallow. Even when we are engrossed in some other works we might be doing shallow breathing. With shallow breathing, all the cells in our body does not get enough share of oxygen and nutrients, shallow breathing also makes our body feel more stressed.
So deep breathing and other breathing or pranayama exercises should today be seen as a necessity and prioritized in our lives.
Recommended further reading
Meditation -Instructions to follow and benefits
This is one of the Pranayama or breathing exercises, so all the instructions given on the main page of “Pranayama” should be followed. These additional instructions should also be followed
1. The inhalation and exhalation should be smooth and regular. Remember there is no discomfort or strain while doing deep breathing or any other exercises of pranayama, instead they are always relaxing.
2. As you breath in or inhale feel your belly rise and as you breath out or exhale feel your belly fall.
The benefits of Deep breathing are many, just to highlight a few of them
1. Eliminates stress from our body and makes it more relaxed. During deep breathing even our brain cells receive enough oxygen and this helps it to function more efficiently.
2. The benefits of deep breathing can be easily experienced when we are tired after a run or after climbing 12 floors. Just do deep breathing for a minute and feel the relaxation.
3. Even if you are emotionally unstable, anxious, angry or wrathful doing deep breathing will relax and pacify you. A person can develop the habit of deep breathing for 3 minutes whenever he is into some quarrel or there is any sort of disagreement with someone. This will pacify the person and then he can take better and more informed decisions.
4. Detoxifies our body and develops our immunity.
5. Improves the functionality of the digestive system.
6. Lowers the blood pressure and makes it normal
No one can be advised to avoid deep breathing because avoiding breathing is like avoiding life and the deeper our breathing is, the better it is for us.
However pregnant women or a post operated person should perform deep breathing slowly, there should not be any sound of breathing.